MASG News Dec 15th
Posted on 15 December 2006 by e-news
* Renewable Energy working Group met on Thursday the 14th to hear about the latest in community owned renewable energy initiatives in Europe from Neil Barrett.
* CSIRO briefing in Castlemaine was unavoidably postponed until Feb 2nd next year.
*Clare Melgaard from the Castlemaine North Primary School was interviewed for WIN TV on Wed 13th about the school’s work towards becoming carbon neutral.
*State Festival Waste Working Group met on Mon 11th and the State Festival combined working groups met on Tues 12th to further work on the program that MASG is putting together.
* The office will be closed from Friday 22nd to Wed Jan 3rd. Dean and Carolyn are on leave from today (15th ) until Jan 3rd, many thanks to Bron Machin who will staff the office voluntarily next week.
*Compost Bin for the back garden at the MASG office:if anyone has one to donate we would love it.
*Volunteers to help staff the office in late Feb/early March for a few weeks once Carolyn’s baby is born.
OTHER: Please note these events are not MASG endorsed and are for members information only.
*Ma LETS Christmas Party, tonight 5-7pm Friday 15th Dec, Wesley Hill Market Hall, ph 54705952 for more info
*Volunteer “Recycling Queen” Claire Phillips of Maldon 54751910 recycles waste from Maldon businesses. If anyone is either interested in utilising her services or setting up a similar venture in Castlemaine, please contact her.
*Mt Alexander Bicycle Users Group (MABUG) is commencing a review of the group and is seeking cyclists and non cyclists interested in:
* becoming a member of MABUG & MABUG Committee
* volunteering for MABUG working parties
* the direction of cycling and cycling support in MA Shire
see www.mabug.org.au &/or phone Jill on 03 54723098.
Carolyn, Dean and the Committee would like to thank all the members and volunteers who have made our first year such a huge success….
Climate Change Workshops, Ride & Walk to work day, Renewable energy working group and the CSIRO Reaching for renewables project, Carbon Neutral Spring Ball, Radio interviews, Front page stories, 34 individuals/businesses aiming to go carbon neutral, Castlemaine North Primary School aiming to go carbon neutral, Mount Alexander Shire Council committing to 30% reductions in emissions by 2010; with the idea of going carbon neutral, An Inconvenient Truth Film night, ……and 229 members
…..and next year we look forward to the Carbon Neutral State Festival, Sustainable houses tours, a Commonwealth Government LETA SA grant to work with businesses and launching the CSIRO study to work with big industries and employers on energy projects, and that is just the beginning.
Have a cool yule (if that is possible) and a safe and peaceful festive season (and be careful of the bottle….)
“I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me”
Sir Winston Churchill 1964