The Festival edition enews March 30th
Posted on 30 March 2007 by e-news
The Carbon Neutral State Festival starts tonight and runs for 10 days! (For all details of MASG events see our downloadable flyer )
Greenpowering the Businesses of Castlemaine
Over 110 businesses have purchased GreenPower for the duration of the Festival. The Mount Alexander Sustainability Group, in partnership with Origin Energy, is supplying 100% accredited wind power for the 10 days. It will result in a saving of over 115 tonnes of greenhouse pollution, the equivalent of having an entire street of houses running on GreenPower for a year. Thanks to Lorna Atkinson and Claire Phillips who have volunteered and have exceeded our expectations 10-fold! Click on GreenPowered Businesses to see the full list of participating businesses & then go and support them. While you’re there, tell those businesses that you appreciate their efforts and encourage them to keep on with renewable energy. Let’s build momentum for a GreenPowered town post-festival.
This week’s highlights @ the HUB:
* Friday night – River of Bikes – gather at 5pm at the rear of the Market Building, and be part of the opening event!
* Saturday – free kids’ festival in Victory Park from 10.30am, song, dance, clowning from highly polished performers. Morning tea available for a gold coin donation.
* Also on Saturday: the Providore at the Hub: official opening at 2pm – drop in and see how beautiful it looks! Thanks Deb and Sally. The Providore will open 10am -2pm every day of the festival; free tastings, tea and coffee for sale. MASG members especially encouraged to visit on Good Friday for hot cross buns in the garden.
* Sunday – walk the Happy Valley, and watch the street theatre. Walks also take place on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Watch out for the new Walking Map …
* Wednesday – story teller Andrew McKenna – 10.30am – in the MASG garden – great for kids up to the age of 99!
* Thursday – breakfast with the ABC at the Market Building – 7.30am onwards – great local food for only $8
* Friday – MASG members come to the Providore for hot cross buns in the Garden.(see above)
* Sunday – in the Botanical Gardens – family fun day and Bendigo Wines… MASG has organised a wash-against-waste trailer that provides washable crockery to reduce the need for disposables. Can you lend us some tea-towels? Perhaps even come and do a bit of dishwashing and drying? Please call Ian on 5470 6978 if you can help.
Free bus transport:
on final day of Castlemaine State Festival, Sunday 8th for the Botanical Gardens Picnic. Buses will pick up each morning and return in the afternoon to/from the following locations: Taradale, Elphinstone, Chewton, Newstead, Guildford, Maldon, Harcourt, and Barkers Creek. Click on information and pick up times go to or contact Castlemaine Bus Lines on 5472 1455.
We have plenty of volunteers for most of these events but we always need more. In return you will get a free feed and/or cuppa as well as having a lot of fun.
Have you seen us in the news?
*The Age, “Carbon Karma” Story Wed 28th March – A big article with colour pics of MASG treasurer Heather Barrett and details of our work towards making the Festival Carbon Neutral on page 16.
*Ian on the radio ABC Bendigo 91.1fm on Thursday 30th with Jonathan Ridnell.
*Castlemaine Mail Friday 31st – story on the Kids’ Festival with Team Henderson pg 5
*MASG will also be part of a 3BO 93.5 fm interview Wednesday 4th at the Market Building. …………….Watch out for more stories in next week’s Midland Express and Castlemaine Mail!
Appropriate words of wisdom in this time of festival madness
“Chaos is creativity in search of form” John Welwood